Non-EU nationals hired from within Germany

Non-EU citizens are in general not allowed to work in Germany without a valid residence permit.

A residence permit is restricted to a certain employer for the first two years of employment. The name of the employer and the job title at the company are in this case mentioned on the permit, e.g. employment only allowed as Scientist at the European XFEL GmbH. Should one change jobs during this time frame, the imposed restriction on the permit needs to be changed to the new employer and new position at the local immigration office. Together with the supporting documents you receive from our side, it is a rather uncomplicated matter.

After two years of employment in Germany, this imposition ends, meaning employment is allowed completely regardless of the employer and position and no further action would be needed.


Blue Card

Since summer 2012, a new type of residence permit, the so-called Blue Card, makes it easier for university graduates and their families to start working in Germany.

Requirements for a Blue Card as of 2021:

  • a German university degree or a recognised degree comparable to a German degree
  • an employment contract with an annual gross salary of at least 56.800 € (monthly 47.333,33 €), or a contract in a so-called “shortage occupation” (scientists, mathematics, engineers, IT-skilled workers) with an annual gross salary of 44.304 €  (Monthly 3.692€)

The main benefits of the Blue Card are that it also enables spouses of the Blue Card holder to work in Germany right away. Further, proof of German language knowledge is not required. In addition, a Blue Card holder can already apply for a settlement permit after 33 months, instead of the usual 60 months. More information on the Blue Card can be found on the German Federal Office for migration and refugees website.