Running from July 2007 until June 2011, Pre-XFEL was an EU funded project aiming to support the foundation of the European XFEL, the new research infrastructure in Europe.
Its main purpose was to provide all technical, legal and financial documents necessary for the foundation of the European XFEL company. One of the main activities under this project were therefore the immediate recruitment of international staff, mostly in the relevant scientific and technical fields, supported by the EC funding.
In addition Pre-XFEL should serve as a platform to mobilize and stimulate the potential users community. Research at the European XFEL will cover a broad range of natural sciences. To give the users an adequate knowledge about the possibilities and requirements at the European XFEL a course of workshops and user meetings were organized supported by EC funding.
As a third objective Pre-XFEL facilitated the specification (and where appropriate, research and development, prototyping and industrialization) of buildings, technical infrastructure, technical components.
Pre-XFEL has been coordinated by DESY.
Partners of the Pre-XFEL project were:
- Stiftung Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron (www.desy.de)
- Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung (www.bmbf.de)
- Science and Technology Facilities Council (www.stfc.ac.uk)
- The Swedish Research Council (www.vr.se)
- Stockholm University (www.su.se)
- Consorcio para la Construcción, Equipamiento y Explotación del Laboratorio de Luz Sincrotrón (www.cells.es)
- Sincrotrone Trieste ScpA (www.elettra.trieste.it)
- Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare (www.infn.it)
- Niels Bohr Institute, University of Copenhagen (www.ku.dk)
- Ministère Délégué à la Recherche – Département DGRI – A2
- The Andrzej Soltan Institute for Nuclear Studies (www.ipj.gov.pl)
- Pavol Jozef Safárik University, Kosice , Slovakia (www.upjs.sk)
- Comenius University, Bratislava (www.uniba.sk)
- Research Institute for Solid State Physics and Optics of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (www.szfki.hu)
- Institute for Theoretical and Experimental Physics, Moscow (www.itep.ru)
- Paul Scherrer Institut (www.psi.ch)
- Istituto Nazionale per la Fisica della Materia – CNR (www.infm.it)
- Ministerio de Educación y Ciencia (www.mec.es)
If you have any questions concerning the Pre-XFEL project please contact
phone: +49 40 8998 4130