The European X-Ray Free-Electron Laser Facility GmbH (European XFEL GmbH) is a multi-national non-profit company. It will make available X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. Located in the Hamburg area, Germany, it will comprise scientific instruments for a wide range of experimental techniques. Construction of the European XFEL is underway and its commissioning is scheduled for 2015.
In co-operation with the University of Hamburg, we are looking for our detector group for a
Master Student (f/m)
You will support the detector group at the European XFEL for radiation hardness studies of fast X-ray imaging CCD detectors presently under development for the European XFEL. The project will be carried out in a joint collaboration between the University of Hamburg, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and European XFEL GmbH. The Master Thesis project divides into the following parts
- participation in irradiation test measurements planned at DESY, Hamburg
- preparation of irradiation tests and experimental test setup (vacuum system, electronic interfaces, computer control system, reference detector …)
- analysis and scientific interpretation of measured data
- theoretical understanding and modelling of radiation damage effects of relevance for imaging and spectroscopy applications with fast CCDs at XFEL
- basic knowledge of detector physics and X-ray detection
- background in a programming language is an asset
- eligible to begin a Master Thesis at the University of Hamburg
- good communication skills and ability to work in a multi-lingual, multi-disciplinary team with English as working language; knowledge of German is considered as an asset
Further information on the European XFEL project and the XFEL company can be found at http://www.xfel.eu. For additional information please contact Dr. M. Kuster (European XFEL) Tel. 040 8998-5631 e-mail: (email@example.com) or Prof. E. Garutti (University of Hamburg) Tel. 040 8998-3779 e-mail: (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The duration of the thesis will be one year according to the examination regulations of the University of Hamburg.
Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
Interested candidates should directly contact us by e-mail or phone and apply here.
Deadline for application
31 October 2012